Category: Digital PR

Digital PR Snack on This

Your Awesome Content Is Useless, Until…

One of the things I love most about the combination of content marketing with search engine optimization (SEO) is how they work in concert together.

If customers require multiple touch-points with a brand to become aware of it, and they do their online sleuthing long before they make a purchase…. then it makes sense to take control of those touch-points.

Each one is an opportunity to be found and make an impression.

#PRprochat Digital PR

Best of #PRprochat Launched on SlideShare

Because they’re packed with so much valuable knowledge, we’re doing something new with our Twitter chats to give you a fast, easy read. We’re repurposing our favorite tweets –the smartest ones–into a short, simple “Best of #PRprochat” summary. 

Above The Noise Digital PR

This Book Just Might COMPLETELY Change Your Business

Above The Noise Now Available For Purchase
I deeply believe this book will help you. Why? Because so many business owners–even marketing communications and public relations professionals–are investing time and resources into online marketing that simply doesn’t produce results.

They’re completely lost with zero online visibility. Or, almost worse, they’re visible to the WRONG AUDIENCE.

Digital PR

Create More Content…. Without Actually Creating More

A Mini Self-Case Study
I’m all about integration and, as a small business owner, making the most of assets that dip into my not-so-bottomless well of time, energy or money. I thought I’d share a little bit of my thinking processes when it comes to repurposing content, in hopes of inspiring you to do the same.

Digital PR

Social Listening: A Few Facts Every PR PRo Must Know

According to a 2015 Brandwatch study, only 46.6% of brands engage with a tagged mention. Even worse, LESS THAN 5% respond to a complaint that isn’t tagged – leaving a whopping 95%+ of brands who allow trust and reputation to erode.

It’s not that they don’t care–most, anyway–I believe they don’t have resources in place to catch (or handle) the mentions, and they don’t realize how damaging neglect can be.
What is a tagged mention versus untagged? A tag is when the person mentioning the brand takes the extra step to link their mention to the brand’s social media page, usually through the use of an @ symbol or hashtag.

Tagging the brand ensures the brand is notified of the mention and, depending on the social media platform and its settings, publishes the mention on the brands social media page. Without the tag to connect the mention to the page or profile, the mention won’t show up in notifications for the page.

Untagged mentions are often deliberate by someone who wants to complain without coming to the attention of the brand, but occasionally a simple mistake by someone who doesn’t know how to link to the brand or doesn’t care whether the brand sees it or not.
As PR pros, we are responsible for awareness and reputation, and it’s a logical leap to monitoring mentions and crisis control. They are intertwined, like laces on your sneaker.

Even if we don’t handle social media for a client, it’s definitely our role to advise them on social listening and its kissing cousin, crisis management. Whether or not they TAKE our advice is an entirely different discussion, but we do need to be making recommendations and flagging gaps. Social listening can be automated through individual platforms and software solutions, but only if you’ve taken time to put that monitoring in place.
1. Know there are three basic kinds of online monitoring: web mentions, social media mentions and customer reviews.
Most software solutions handle one or two of these, and I’m unaware of ANY that handle all three. Understand exactly what you are getting with your monitoring before you sign a contract or subscription agreement. Never assume you know!